As part of a comprehensive diagnostic plan, your Advanced Imaging physician might refer you for Nuclear Medicine studies.
What is a Nuclear Medicine Scan?
A nuclear medicine (NM) scan is a diagnostic exam that provides your doctor with important information about organ function.
In nuclear medicine, imaging radiopharmaceuticals (radioactive medicine or tracers) are taken orally, by intravenous injection or inhalation. Special cameras then capture and form images from the radiation emitted by the radiopharmaceuticals in the body. This process is different from diagnostic X-rays which pass external radiation through the body to form the images.
NM scans determine the presence of disease based on biological and anatomical changes; i.e. how an organ functions, and what it looks like. Nuclear Medicine scans allow us to evaluate the function of a number of organs including the thyroid gland, lungs, heart, stomach,kidneys, and gallbladder.
Further, NM scans allow us to monitor certain types of cancer, detect a number of bone and joint abnormalities such as fractures, arthritis or tumors, and evaluate certain neurological diseases, infection and blood volume.
Types of nuclear medicine scans we provide:
- Bone Scan
- Hepatobiliary Scan
- Thyroid Scan
- Parathyroid Scan
- Lung Scan
- Renal Scans
- Gastric Emptying Scans
- Neurologic Scans
- Blood Volume Analysis
- Infection Studies
The Central Scheduling Office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Our Phone: 914.493-2500 (to schedule an appointment press 2)
- Fax: 914.493.2501
Nuclear Medicine Phone: 914.493.7552
Vascular and Interventional Radiology Phone: 914.493.7560
You can also request an appointment online by clicking the button below
Scheduling Your Appointment
When calling our scheduling department, a friendly voice will greet you and ask for some information to schedule your examination. If possible, please have the following information available:
- General information: name, address, telephone number with area code, Social Security number, driver's License number
- The prescription from the doctor describing the type of examination to be performed.
What type of insurance you have.
- If the examination you are having requires a pre-certification or pre-authorization number, please give that number to the scheduler. If you are not sure whether or not your particular insurance provider requires a pre-certification or pre-authorization, please call your insurance benefits coordinator who should be able to help you.
- Specific information: You may be required to give more detailed information about your examination such as if you have any allergies, if you take certain kinds of medication or, in the case of an MRI examination, if you have a pacemaker or any metallic objects inside your body.
Please notify the scheduling staff if you have had any previous examinations at the Advanced Imaging Center or Westchester Medical Center.
Westchester Medical Center Advanced Imaging
19 Bradhurst Avenue, Suite 1000
Hawthorne, NY 10532
Westchester Medical Center
100 Woods Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
Get Directions via Google Maps
The Advanced Imaging Center hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Saturday hours are available for MRI services.
From Tappan Zee Bridge
- One mile after tolls, stay to the left for Exit 8 (287 East to White Plains -- New England)
- Get off at Exit 4 Hartsdale. At the stop sign, make a left. Make next left -- 287 West (to Tappan Zee Bridge).
- Get off at Exit 3 (Sprain Brook Parkway). Stay on the left -- Parkway North.
- Get off at second exit on the Sprain Parkway marked (Medical Center). At the stop sign, make a right. At the traffic light, make a right onto Bradhurst Avenue, then make a right into the entrance of the Medical Arts Atrium Building.
- Westchester Medical Imaging Services is in the Medical Arts Atrium Building, Suite 1000. Once inside the building, go to the right toward the elevators, then go to your left. Straight ahead will be the entrance to Westchester Medical Imaging Services.
From Connecticut/New England Thruway I-95
- Get off at Exit 21 -- 287 West (to Tappan Zee Bridge). Continue on 287 to Exit 3 (Sprain Brook Parkway).
- Then, follow above directions.
From Northern Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess Counties
- Take the Taconic Parkway, South, to Sprain Brook Parkway.
- Get off at the second exit (right after the police barracks), Route 100, Hawthorne. At the end of the exit ramp, bear right onto Route 100 (which is also Bradhurst Avenue).
- Westchester Medical Imaging Services is located at 19 Bradhurst Avenue, in the Medical Arts Atrium Building (which is past the first traffic light). Make a right into the entrance of the Medical Arts Atrium Building. Once inside the building, go to the right toward the elevators, then go to your left. Straight ahead will be the entrance to Westchester Medical Imaging Services.